Hello, I am Brooke of Silly Mama Quilts, blog and etsy shop. I have the privledge of beginning the next round of tutorials from the Design Team! I hope you are ready for some fun and creative projects using Amanda's Sugar and Spice fabric line.
My project today is the Mug Rug I sent for Amanda to display in her booth at Quilt Market. They are so fun and quick and a great way to add a spark of color to your home decor. Ready - let's begin!
Sugar and Spice Mug Rug tutorial
You will need at least 7 fabrics for this project. I like variety so I usually choose a different fabric for each component. The best part of this project is you don’t need much fabric! These make up quick and are great gifts for friends and family or even as a hostess gift.
8-10 different but coordinating fabrics
Select 6 fabrics to use for the 2 ½ inch squares
One 6 ½ inch square
One piece of fabric about 7 x 10 for the backside of your rug
One 2 ½ inch strip of fabric the full width of the fabric for binding
- Sew the 2 ½ inch squares into pairs. Press seams to one side. Arrange in a pleasing arrangement.
2. Then sew the pairs into a unit 2 squares wide by 3 long as seen in this picture.
I like the size of these pieces to practice my techniques.
5. Trim up the Rug before attaching binding.
6. Since these are such small projects, I use one 2 ½ inch strip for binding. First I cut a 45 degree angle on one end of the strip like this.
7. Next I iron the strip in half after I have folded in the 45 degree end. Before sewing it on, the strip looks like this.
8. I begin sewing the binding close to a corner – leaving about a 2 inch tail as shown here
9. I complete sewing the binding all the way around the Mug Rug and stop just after I have rounded the final corner. Then I slip the straight end into the 45 degree angled end like this
Then I finish sewing from corner to corner. Now the binding is ready to be sewn down by hand. The finished Mug Rug will look like this
Hope that you have enjoyed this fun project! See you next time!